Saturday, January 25, 2014

INTERVIEW WITH ANJALI KIRPALANI


INTERVIEW WITH MS. ANJALI KIRPALANI-author of Never Say Never...

1.     Could you tell us a bit more about your debut novel and the inspiration behind it?
Never Say Never tells the story of Nikita Kumar, an unemployed twenty-five year old based in Mumbai who doesn't know what to do with her life. To make matters worse, Nikita is in love with her best friend Aziza’s boyfriend, Raghav Shetty, who is a radio jockey on the popular radio station, Spruce fm. And that’s not all; Nikita doesn't even like, let alone love Deepak, the man she’s in a relationship with! Tired of her life going nowhere, Nikita decides to change her life. On the night of her cousin Natasha’s wedding, she makes a list of things she will never do. She vows to never marry for money, never doubt her abilities, never have feelings for a friend’s boyfriend, never stay in a relationship with someone she doesn't love, never get completely drunk in public and never wear velvet!

But life seldom goes according to plan and Nikita soon learns that you should never say never…

             Inspiration behind it:

I started writing 'Never Say Never' when I was unemployed and unsure of which direction to take career-wise. I knew I had a good story idea- A story about a twenty-five year old unemployed girl who makes a list of things she will never do. Since life has a plan of its own, however, most of these things end up coming true- and hence- she learns that one should 'never say never'. The idea came about when I heard my sister talk about how she ended up doing all the things she said she'd never do in life. 


2.     What career field were you involved in before you turned to writing?
Although I studied business, I always knew I'd be associated with the media- I always wanted to be a TV anchor and writer. I was a Producer and Anchor with ET NOW. In the past, I’ve been an RJ, Marketing Executive and Content writer.

3.     Has writing always been your passion? How did it make way into your life?
I started writing poetry when I was about 13. I won an award in school for one of my poems and that's where my writing journey really began. Thereafter I wrote articles for magazines, newspapers and websites. One of my short stories won an award on radio in South Africa. I followed this by writing 3 radio drama scripts in South Africa.

4.     The publication of a debut novel is the most joyous thing for a writer. I’m sure that your feelings were similar. It would be great if you could elaborate on the publication process of your first book.
I started writing the book in the middle of 2010. However, I believed I should get a 'real job' and so ended up finding a job soon after. Once I started working, it became tough to take out time to keep writing the book- so I procrastinated and let a lot of time pass by. In 2012, however, I was on holiday and re-visited the book. That's when I vowed to finish the book as soon as I got back to India. I completed it within 2 months, showed it to a Creative writing professor and edited it further. 

I started approaching publishers in November- December 2012; Grapevine India accepted my book and called me in the first week of Jan 2013 to tell me that they are picking the book up. I remember thinking that it was the best New Year gift I'd received and the best way to begin a new year! 

5.     How do you relate to the protagonist of the book?

Nikita Kumar is just like me- and everyone who knows me agrees! From the way she looks- she has frizzy hair and is 5’2-to her personality, Nikita is a reflection of me.  Unlike Nikita, however, I’ve never fallen in love with my best friend’s boyfriend-and even if I have, I’ve never done anything about it!

1.     What are your future ambitions?
I want to keep writing for sure. I’m a true Gemini- I love discovering new things and hate being stuck in a rut. So I’m sure I will be doing many things ten years from now. I’d love to see my books turned into movies so perhaps scriptwriting is something I will be doing in the future too. 


7.     Writing, after all is a form of expression. What place does it hold in your life?
I write to inspire, entertain and connect with readers. Writing allows me to give shape to my dreams. The creative satisfaction that I get after writing is an unmatched feeling.
8.     What was the driving force behind the title of the book- NEVER SAY NEVER?
From the time I started writing the story, I knew it had to be called ‘Never Say Never’. It is the most appropriate title for the book since the book is about a girl who makes a list of things she will never do-and who breaks her resolutions (or comes close to breaking her resolutions)
9.     Which writer(s)/novelist(s) do you consider your idol(s)?
I have always admired and been inspired by Jane Austen, Vikram Seth, Marian Keyes, Fiona Walker, Khaled Hosseini and Paulo Coelho.
10. Are you working on any new projects?
I’m currently working on my second book-which will also be a funny, slice-of-life kind of contemporary novel.
11. Are there books that influence you or are powerful enough to grasp your attention for a longer time as compared to other books?
A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, The White Tiger by Arvind Adiga…there are too many actually!
12. When did you actually start writing?
When I was 13. There was a poetry writing competition in my school and that’s when I really discovered by ability to write.
13. What do you think, is the hardest part of getting a debut novel published?
Keeping the faith. Believing that your novel will really see the light of the day is hard, especially when people keep telling you about how difficult it is to get published.
14. Does your novel include some real-life instances?
Of course! It is said that your first novel will always draw majorly from your own life. So certain incidents in the novel are real-life incidents. But the overall plot is fictional. So I’d say my novel is an amalgamation of fact and fiction. As for what’s real and what’s imagine; well, that’s for me to know and the readers to keep guessing!
15. Is there any message you would like to give to all the writers out there?
Believe in yourself. As clichéd as it may seem, stay optimistic and believing in your dreams is really the key to success. So just stay positive, keep writing and keep working on your craft, and you are bound to succeed. Never say never to following your dreams ;) 


Visit Anjali's Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment